Friday, December 16, 2011

Ode to my former Seminarian Brothers

I just recently came across this poem that I wrote near the beginning of my Spirituality Year at St. John Vianney seminary here in Denver. I believe I originally wrote this to my brothers attending Immaculate Heart of Mary seminary in Winona, Minnesota. When I rediscovered it I first thought I must have written it right before I left seminary, but the date on it was three years previous to that. So with out further ado I dedicate this poem to all those I attended seminary with.

To all you guys who sit in class,
While I go out and play on grass,
In sympathy for tests and exams,
While I sit and ponder the great I AM,
and in the "Caf" where you sit in fright,
I gobble it up in great delight,
Remembering fellowship of times now gone,
When the Bishop bids me come along,
Now know that I will pray for thee,
I just ask that you might pray for me.
And all the times that we have missed
We are together in the Eucharist.
And If we come to meet again,
To find that now we still are friends
Then we must, in all our cheer,
Hold aloft our steins of Beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment