Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Of Concrete and Grass

I have been fascinated of late with a bizarre institution of the modern culture (it may go back quite a while but I have no desire to investigate how far). It is the institution of concrete walking paths through grassy fields. This is probably the most universal movement in our culture and so possibly the foundation of the rest of the culture. It strikes me for this reason. I like concrete for foundations, roads, and other utilitarian things (although even occasionally in jewelry), and I like walking on grass. If I were allowed to create my own version I would walk on grass and look at other plants whose design and life are much more dynamic than grass. The concrete would be under my house and between it's bricks. This I think would be a positive improvement for several reasons.

First, concrete is very hard, I have had the opportunity of sleeping on concrete on occasion and I have decided that it is the hardest substance I have every slept on. In relation to this, there are an enormous amount of advertisements which offer a relief to back pain. I would advertise my grass paths as another relief to back pain.

The other plants which I would grow in place of the vast expanse of grass would be far more clear in their purpose than grass is. With grass it is necessary to post little signs which read "please keep off the grass". If only the walkways of grass were lined with roses and Iris and a myriad of different bushes those signs would no longer be necessary. There are few people aside from those striving to master their purity who prefer walking through the rose bush to the grass walkway.

Finally, the reduction of concrete would, if I understand at least one of the reasons city streets get so much hotter then fields, reduce fatigue of those who walked, simply be being a few degrees cooler.

I am sure that many reasons can be given against my grass walkways, primarily mud, worn out grass, and an inordinate amount of places for small children to hide (this is worse to some than small children walking on grass). Those, I think, could be dealt with easily for the benefit of all.

2 comments:

  1. I should have planted more roses in the yard, torn up the sidewalk, and put grass there. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete